Saturday, September 20, 2003

I woke up tired today, which is always a disconcerting feeling. It's been a Tom Waits day, even though it was sunny. Actually, the weather is cooling down enough that I can wear long sleeves again, which is always a relief. Most of my favorite shirts and sweaters were purchased when I was still financially viable, and I prefer them over most of my t-shirts.

I went to see I Capture the Castle tonight. I wasn't sure what to expect from it, and now I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, the cinematography is great. The set dressing is all vintage 1930's British avant garde, the type of thing that I love. The lighting was consistently well done, in some cases upstaging the script and the performers. And the movie features Marc Blucas, recognizable from his stint as Riley on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It was nice to see him in a different role. The rest of the movie is a "coming of age" story of the young heroine, which is even less exciting than it sounds. It avoids most of the cliches that plague similar movies, but it remains staunchly unhappy despite the fact that the young woman lives with a family of geniuses in an idyllic castle in rural England before Germany had the chance to bomb the hell out of the country. It was a mostly enjoyable movie, but I probably wouldn't see it again.

No comments: