Monday, September 13, 2004

Today, September 13th, my blog is one year old. I remember starting it after hearing about a purportedly free service that would let me type stuff and post it on the internet. Bored as I was, I decided to check it out. The purpose, for me at least, was personal growth. I didn't really have a goal in mind, I was unemployed and bored, and it was free.

After one year, things have changed for the better for me. I entered the workforce as a retail drone, helped various people move, tried my best to avoid purchasing music from RIAA-affiliated artists, waxed pseudo-poetic about movies and television, went to Texas, watched the Cubs on TV, bought a belt, applied to grad school, got accepted to grad school, exited the retail workforce, and moved several furlongs south of home to start grad school. I started this last year because I was bored, and now I almost forgot that I wanted to make a post at the one-year mark because school has me so preoccupied.

The funny thing about all of this is my audience (hi Mom). Once, I new for a fact that I had three readers. I'm not even sure who reads this now, but it is more than three. We had a discussion in HCI class about blogs, and some people couldn't fathom why anyone would want to read somebody else's blog. I'm mystified myself, but I read at least half a dozen that I can think of off the top of my head.

As for the title of the blog, Misplaced Commas, I plan to keep that. My punctuation has improved somewhat, but I can't think of a better title. "Siamese Dream", "Never Mind the Bollocks", and "Swordfishtrombones" are all taken.

I planned on making a list of my favorite blog posts, but I think I'll just post a few. There's a big archive up on the right, and clicking randomly will take you to different points in the past year. It's interactive hypertextuality fun for the whole family.

There was this one...
The time I went to Texas and then wouldn't stop talking about it...
There was that possum...
And then there was the two part moving weekend post. Part One and Part Two

Don't bother reading them if you have something better to do. They're some of my longest writings ever.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of blogs and reading ones that aren't your own. I know you occasionally read my xanga, which is no longer updated. I've changed to livejournal for the time being. If you're interested, my username is medium_tex (big_tex was already taken). Anyway, yeah, I'm one of those more than three people.

Anonymous said...

Also, this is Justin

Anonymous said...

Heya, Mel here...I do read your blog regularly (for the record)...the only reason I don't comment more is I'm too lazy to register on blogger for comment purposes alone. THough I have considered jumping on blogger and doing a mirrored post just to see what kind of responses I would get...hmmm........