Monday, September 27, 2004

Gad, what a night. I fell asleep at 9:00 last night while reading a particularly boring chapter in my HCI book, only to wake an hour later in the stupor that commonly follows an impromptu nap on the couch. Backing up a bit, I am now the proud owner of my family's old family room couch and kitchen table with three chairs. My apartment is a feng-shui fever dream. Later on, I couldn't sleep for the life of me. I had tea with dinner, forgetting how much caffeine is in that stuff. I even tried reading from my HCI book, as that had worked before, but the next chapter was really interesting, so that got my brain working again. BUT! At about 4:30 in the morning, I dozed off a little bit and came up with an idea for my creative project animation. I stumbled over to my computer desk and typed out everything I could think of into a haphazard treatment of sorts, because I would have forgotten otherwise. It'll be a ton of work for one person, but it's something that I can do myself. I can't really relay the specifics yet, as I'm still figuring them out, but I plan to show it to my old Communications professor at USF, as I know she'll get it and give me good advice. It'll make sense soon, I hope.

Today has been a little different. I used to go on minimal sleep in undergrad because I had the solidarity of my sleep-deprived friends. I also had gen-ed classes to sleep in, so that helped too. No such luck now. I did see something cool, however. At lunchtime I walked over the student center and there were a bunch of promotional booths set up outside. They were all technology themed, but the coolest ones were a jeep outfitted with at least five different Nintendo Gamecubes and a tent full of guitars and effects emulators. The Nintendo jeep had buttons with pictures of classic characters in their original pixel glory. I picked out Mario and Bowser, grinning like a 24 year old third grader. I went to the guitar demo tent and I got to mess around with a $400 fx box and a $4,000 Gibson guitar. It needed tuning, but the tone quality was glorious. The guy in charge recommended an Epiphone, because it's a lot cheaper and the sound is comparable. It was great, though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not Link and Gannon? Yeah, Gannon, not like the silly Game Boy version with its fixed English and "corrected" spelling. It doesn't even say "Look up the manual."

Michael

Anonymous said...

I didn't hear about this Nintendo booth! Bah!