Saturday, September 25, 2004

"And having answered so I turn once more to those who sneer at this my city, and I give them back the sneer and say to them: Come and show me another city with lifted head singing so proud to be alive and coarse and strong and cunning. Flinging magnetic curses amid the toil of piling job on job, here is a tall bold slugger set vivid against the little soft cities..."
-excerpt from Carl Sandburg's poem "Chicago."

Gerry has informed me that the Cubs are currently ahead in the baseball wildcard race, which is cause for excitement. It reminded me of the Carl Sandburg poem quoted above, in which the poet also refers to Chicago as the "ciy of the big shoulders." That's where that moniker came from, if you ever wondered.

In my last post, I expressed some disdain for Flash. I still don't like it very much, but yesterday I used it to solve a problem on the forthcoming BSU teachers college website. (The current site, by the way, is not my doing. Whoever designed that monstrosity probably jumped off a bridge a la Javert in "Les Miserables".) The new site will feature randomly selected Flash graphics; a new one each time someone hits refresh. I didn't make the animations, but I did make the loader file in Flash to make them load randomly. Score one for cracker.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Show a picture of me teaching at the new Teachers College website! :)

Gerry