Thursday, September 02, 2004

Today I was working on encoding videos for the teacher's college website at work. I've told everybody who asks that "yes, I know all about digital video editing." It appears some people take this statement at face value, because today I got to use Final Cut Pro, which I haven't really dabbled in since USF, to color correct these videos. It kept crashing, and this happens enough that the video guy here has this note below his monitor: EXPECT A CRASH. Yup. After a while, I started looking for other options. I ended up signing away my masculinity and self-respect by using iMovie, the generic Apple box video editor to fix the contrast and export video suitable for the web. It worked surprisingly well, albeit clumsy for multiple video file exporting. So, I got an important lesson about techno-hubris, and Apple got a fat stack of OS X crash reports to ignore.

Gerry and I ware going to the Football game tonight. We get in free, and the school gets to use the new lights for the first time. More importantly, we'll see our newly acquired friends in the band. That counts for something. Gerry also promises that we'll leave if they get blown out early, which is likely.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know, that's interesting- I'd like to know which version of FCP you were using, and more importantly, where your scratch disks were located. I've had these sorts of problems in the past, usually because of my own error; for example, its not a good idea to capture really long sections of video at a time (i.e. longer than 15 minutes a clip). Sometimes its a matter of hard drive space as well, since FCP will crash if the scratch disk is the same as the drive the program is installed on and it gets filled during capture. Also, if you're using capture now vs. capture clip, that makes a difference as well; capture now can seem to fill up hard drive space very quickly and then shrink once capturing is done. I've seen 10 minutes of video take up nearly 800 GB of space while it's capturing. No kidding. Anyway, you didnt compromise your masculinity by using imovie. I dont like to use it either, and I have no masculinity to compromise (debatable, I suppose). But if it does the job, that's all that matters.

firesetterninja