Tuesday, September 07, 2004

I rented Taxi Driver last night, at long last. I'd tried in vain for years to get it at the Fort Wayne library and I think they lost the DVD at some point. It was a good movie, kind of like Catcher in the Rye with a lot more guns and drugs. What really impressed me was the editing. It's obvious that Martin Scorsese trusted his actors enough to leave the camera running during long exchanges between characters instead of editing every sentence back and forth between shots. The famous "you talkin to me?" monologue is one of these shots.

Back to class today. I'm current on all of the reading so far, so it shouldn't be a big deal. I feel a little like Harold Hill (or perhaps Lile Lanley). "Yes, digital storytelling, that's the ticket! Media convergence, narrative, paradigm, blah-biddy-blah-internet." I'll feel a lot better when I'm able to get back to actual video and animation work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And if Harold Hill can make Gary, Indiana, sound like a charming place, you can convince people that Muncie is a beautiful utopia.

"You lookin' at me?
Are you looking at me?
Then who are you looking at, huh?
I asked you a question!
Okay, clown, that does it!"
HA. HA. HA.