Saturday, May 01, 2004

Those of you who know me know that I have a thing for gadgetry. It's kind of a James Bond/ Batman/ Inspector Gadget sort of thing. I like to have various tools and implements with me, for necessity as well as the childish glee of having pockets full of stuff. My brother adopted a term for this collection of gadgets: the inventory. This comes from the Final Fantasy game series and the classic Lucasarts adventure games of a decade ago, wherein the inventory is a menu full of important objects and ephemera collected and used throughout the game. Some of these virtual items are useful no matter what, like healing potions (Final Fantasy), whereas other items serve a singular purpose, like a rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle (Monkey Island).

My typical inventory varies, depending on what I'm planning on doing. For example: a normal day at work requires substantially less than a weekend roadtrip across several state lines. While it is true that I never know what I'll need on a daily basis, I have a sort of loose priority system for what gets carried. Here, now, is a look at my inventory.

Item: Gerber Multitool
Description: Collapsible metal pliers with various tools in the handle segments.
Use: When things break, I fix them.

Item: iPod
Description: 10 GB digital music player loaded with everything from Verdi to Thug Murder.
Use: Daily, whenever I need music.

Item: Black Bag (geek chic man-purse)
Description: Black cloth bag with several pockets and ample storage.
Use: Whenever I need to schlepp stuff.

Item: LED pocket light (green) with chain
Description: Compact illumination with minimal ambient light.
Use: In lieu of cursing the darkness.

Item: Moleskine Notebook
Description: Classic black notebook with acid free sketch paper, storage pocket, and an elastic band.
Use: Storage of half-baked ideas and important memos.

Item: Pocket Watch
Description: Round metal watch on a chain.
Use: To remind me that I'm late.

Those are the things I typically carry around, depending on what I'm doing. Feel free to copy the format and post your own inventory on your site if you wish.

No comments: