Tuesday, May 25, 2004

I had a job interview this morning at 10:30 (aww, poor me) for the shelving position at the Library. Fortunately, I keep an emergency wake-up-in-the-morning survival guide in a cold war era armored floor safe for just such an occasion. I got ready, ate what might pass for breakfast, and set upon the morning's first daunting task: my necktie. Several of my attempts ended up looking nothing like the traditional men's accessory, but rather something I had become entangled in while sleeping. Eventually I got it tied, but I was running a little late, so of course I hit every red light on the way to the library. The interview went pretty well, I thought. I think my strongest advantage over my anonymous competition is that I can already shelve books with the aplomb and agility of an art major trapped in retail purgatory. This job is another step towards doing what I want, as it will provide me with money for this fall. I did get the job, by the way, the HR person called me about three hours later. Score one for cracker.

New comic books tomorrow. Astonishing X-men #1 written by Joss Whedon (genuflect, all ye geeks) and Punisher #6. Marvel comics has no respect for numbering or continuity anymore. I haven't purchased an X-men comic in ten years or more, back when the characters had actual costumes and Wolverine was intelligent and disciplined and did not have a goatee. The current continuity has him as a metrosexual shadow of his former self.

I need new geek media. Last week's Smallville and Angel finales left my inner fanboy confused and curled up in a fetal position. Smallville's season closer was a big-budget rush job mess with a reasonably satisfying montage at the end. They could have done the whole story more effectively spread out over two episodes had they planned ahead and cut out some of their mid-season filler. The Angel finale was good, albeit bleak. We learn that our hero doesn't get to become human again after all, as he consciously signs away his destiny for the good of humanity. The abrupt end is open, but it implies that the main characters all die fighting a huge army of demons. This is particularly harsh for me, since I really liked this show. It goes to show how great TV can be from time to time. It also demonstrates why Smallville will never be as good a show- the outcome is set in stone, and come hell or high water, Clark will become Superman. I'm also still mad about Wonderfalls, but I feel my soapbox starting to creak.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new job, Fool! I can now breathe a sigh of relief that we will both have comic book money this fall. Although, I got my bill for summer classes, and holy crap, it's expensive!

I am not even going to comment on your negative Smallville comments...I'm sending Lex after you.

Congrats again, cracker!
Gerry