Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Since I'm the unquestioned despotic ruler of this tiny patch of cyberspace, I have decided that I get to tell you all what media I've enjoyed recently, along with my half-baked opinion for each.

Movies:

Russian Ark- the idea for this alone makes it cool, never mind that it's a really good movie all around.

the Sword in the Stone- Quite possibly the best script Disney ever produced. It's a geek fable of the highest order.

the Lord of the Rings (Ralph Bakshi)- It isn't the greatest movie ever made, but some of the visuals are really cool and unique.

Nosferatu- An old German vampire movie. The effects were pretty groundbreaking back in the day.

Music:

Sex Pistols: Never Mind the Bollocks Here's the Sex Pistols- This whole album sounds like orchestral power tools, especially Sid Vicious's voice.

Tom Waits: Mule Variations- It's kind of a hybrid of his old and new style.

the Dandy Warhols: Dandys Rule, Okay?- I downloaded it and enjoyed it, and I plan to buy it, as it's their only non-riaa release.

Smashing Pumpkins: Gish- I had "I am One" going through my head all day at work the other day.

the Black Keys: Thickfreakness- I love this album and I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Books:

Ernest Hemingway: the Old Man and the Sea- Somehow, I thought I read this a long time ago, but I don't think I ever did now that I am reading it currently. Weird.

Art Deco Lighting- Lamps used to be really cool. What happened?

Sandro Botticelli, the Drawings for the Divine Comedy- What has two "i"s and painted "the Birth of Venus" in 1485? A.- Botticelli! Bwa haha!

the New Yorker Magazine- I just got into this magazine. They use big words.

Video Games:

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4- The only sports game series I can play for an extended period of time.

Undying- This game reminds me of why I want to be a game designer. Muy bueno!

Guitar Music: (stuff I'm learning)

Beethoven: "Moonlight Sonata"- It sounds great on guitar.

the Black Keys: "Thickfreakness"- I learned this one by ear, thank you very much.

Radiohead: "Street Spirit"- I've been playing this one since college and I still don't have it exactly.

Dave Matthews Band: "Satellite", "Crash Into Me"- These are standards for midwestern white guys.

Tom Waits: "Poor Edward"- I just got the music book for Alice and this song was the first song I was able to play.

Smashing Pumpkins: "Take Me Down"- Todd recommended it, as it's easy and it sounds really nice on a solo acoustic.

No comments: