Friday, December 12, 2003

It's been quite awhile since I last updated here. Truth be told, I've been pretty boring. I had a couple days off work that I intended to use productively, but I just slept a whole lot and played video games. Today it was back to being productive at B&N. I got to the mall at 7:00 AM and they already had the Christmas music playing at full blast. There weren't any shoppers due at the mall for at least an hour or more, but the chorus of divine commerce was blasting away regardless. That, and the wind this morning was colder than a well digger's ass in January. Once I got inside, things were better. Around 10:00 my friend in the music department put on a reggae CD that put me in a good mood for the duration, then it was back to the same old crap that I've heard day in and day out for weeks now.

I had planned to just go home and put my feet up after work, but there were coupons for a couple mall merchants in the breakroom. For some reason my good sense left me and I took a coupon to its corresponding merchant: Aeropostale. Ick. I do own a sweatshirt with their name on it, but I bought it in the basement of the OSU student union, miles from the store. And it was on sale. So I decide to venture into Aeropostale because I'm tired and a little curious as to what I could get for %20 off.

I suddenly appreciate the music that Barnes & Noble plays so much more. As much as hearing "oh come all ye faithful" as a wailing power guitar ballad makes my skin crawl, it's still better than hearing the insipid pop holiday tunes that I was subjected to in the five minutes I spent in Aeropostale. Everything in the store is perpetually 16 years old, the employees included, and myself included, hence I hated everything about my surroundings. Everything but a decent looking belt I found. It's just a greenish belt with no logo that looks like it might last a few years, so that was my purchase. I brought the belt to the register to pay and escape into the far preferable bitter cold, and the ageless proto-youth behind the counter tells me that belts, stocking caps, boxers, and socks were all buy one get one half off. If I was a Cobra Tele-Viper, the text across my visor would be a bold WTF? I don't need another identical belt, I look like a tool in a stocking cap, the boxers didn't roxor at all, and the socks were too small and drastically over-priced. Anyway, I declined to purchase more. Then there was a guy working there (an anomaly to be sure) who asked me where I worked. I told him, and he said I looked like a book person. I couldn't really think of anything to say to that. I don't think I'll be going back to that store.

More work tomorrow, and Saturday I'm helping a co-worker move into her new house before more work. Maybe that'll provide some blogfodder.

No comments: