Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Here are two reasons so far this week for me to feel smug: article and article. The first article says that introverts get more out of independent thought than people who require external stimuli to constantly entertain them. The second article is my favorite, though: visually-minded people have better creative ability and often filter out a lot of information.

Scott and I were up quite late last night editing our documentary. He’s a journalist, so working with him is a bit different from the artists I’m used to in a good way- he used a method of logging our roughly twenty hours of footage with a spreadsheet with tape names, time codes, and dialogue prompts. Thanks to this, we got eighteen minutes of final product done in four hours- far better than the standard one hour of editing for one minute of footage. I went home and slept for three consecutive hours before my cell phone alarm I set as a failsafe started blasting a midi version of Stars and Stripes Forever and vibrating loudly on the metal box fan in my room. I planned it that way, and I pretty well jumped out of bed to shut it off. The documentary is coming along nicely. Tonight we present it for “critique.” I use the quote marks because I haven’t had an honest-to-goodness critique since undergrad. Everybody is so nice here that it’s next to impossible to hear anything negative about my work. At USF I had a professor threaten to shoot me with his paintball gun because I didn’t have my drawing done, and later tell my then-girlfriend that he would put me in a rocket and send me to the moon if she didn’t get her work done. The scary thing is that this professor here at BSU isn’t a ball breaker during class, but her grading certainly qualifies. I want to do well on this because I genuinely care about the project, more so than any paper I’ve written.

One more thing: Firefox 1.5 is out now. All of my (cool) friends have probably already installed it, but I felt I should bring this up.

No comments: