Thursday, December 02, 2004

I went to my first BSU basketball game last night. I don't see it becoming my favorite thing in the world, but it was enjoyalbe. We won, which was exciting enough. The reason I mention this event at all is because of something that I found funny. (Is there ever any other reason I mention sports, really?) It is customary for the crowd to stand and clap during the fight song; this much I remember from high school. I didn't feel like standing after the day I had lugging camera equipment around the library, so I remained in my red plastic seat. The hunchbacked octagenarian woman in front of me, however, fought her way to the closest thing to a standing position she could manage to cheer for the team. I felt kind of ashamed to be so slothful, but I still didn't get up. I'm a grad student, for heaven's sake.

The semester will be over soon, and I'm already considering a project for next semester. I want to make something interactive, though I'm not clear on what. Is something interactive just because it has a clickable menu? I define true interactivity with immersion and a sense of agency. A video game is interactive, while a VCR menu is merely an interface. I'll have ample time to develop this by experimenting with interactive interfaces in an extensive joint study I plan to do in conjunction with my brother, a classics major at Kenyon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I noticed the senior citizens getting up as well...I told ya the older fans are loyal (pun intended) as heck!

And when it comes right down to it, aren't sports almost always funny in some way?