Monday, March 15, 2004

I haven't updated in awhile, which always means I've been busy. I sold books, played video games, and went to the dentist. Those are the sort of things that aren't worth elaborating on, though, save for that I'm happy to have clean teeth. Here are the things that are worth extrapolating on.

The heater did get installed, and it works really well. I felt I should mention that after my last post, even if only to give myself some closure.

I sent my portfolio to BSU, and as soon as I know anything I'll post it here. Of course, almost everybody who will read this is near enough for me to tell in person, but I'll still post. This site is the DVD-commentary to my life.

Gerry and I went to the mall on Saturday night for all the usual reasons. We wandered around grousing about kids today and speculating about geek summer movies yet to come. I rarely if ever buy anything at the mall, but I still like to go and walk around for some reason. I used to use the mall as a one-hour escape from the responsibilities of college. Anyway, the highlight of the night (aside from hanging out with Gerry) was dinner at TGI Fridays. I talked to guy I knew from USF since my freshman year (happy to hear he might be getting a really good job soon) and Gerry somehow managed to make friends with everyone within earshot. This included not only our server, but also the lady at the table next to us. Not directly next to us, as there was a plant on top of a partition to act as a Les Nessman-esque wall. Unhindered by this honor-system divider, the woman overheard us discussing what we might order and handed us a little menu with some kind of a discount deal. We had the same thing on our table, but she really wanted us to see this. She also wanted to tell us about the cooking demonstration at the home expo that she and her taciturn husband had been to earlier at the Coliseum. So, instead of Gerry and I having our usual discussions about media ethics or the sociological nuances of sports, we got to hear all about over-priced cookware and a demonstration by those dogs that jump really far and land in a pool of water. The woman left after a while, but not before informing us with wide-eyed head-nodding conviction that we should go to the home expo cooking demo because we get to try everything the chef prepares and we even get a free salad at the beginning. We continued eating and Gerry struck up a conversation with our server, a delightful young woman with a penchant for movie references and a need to rest her feet after a long day. After a satisfying meal we bid adieu to the mall, heading back to the suburbs where people respect the botanical confines dictated by homogeneous chain restaurants.

No comments: