Saturday, November 15, 2003

I do believe I got the job at Barnes and Noble. I've had two interviews within twenty-four hours and both went well, so w00t. After learning more about the company, my opinion has greatly shifted to positive. The image I had of them only offering best sellers and light material was based on the display tables. Apparently, the store carries quite a bit more tucked away on the shelves. BN is also the only place in town I could find Dee Dee Ramone's book Chelsea Horror Hotel, my next book to read after I finally finish Diary. The first manager I talked to sounded like he wanted me to work in music, which I wouldn't mind at all, but part of me wants to work with the books because I feel I have a broad enough knowledge base to help people in several sections.

I went to an art show last night at a local tatoo and piercing studio. The one unifying theme of all the pieces was skulls. Nearly everything had a skull somewhere in it. It wasn't cliched, though. The really interesting pieces were the ink designs by the tatoo artists. They normally work with ink injected into flesh, so seeing them use ink on paper is really interesting. It's a unique style similar to Japanese ink paintings. Aside from the art, there were other entertaining elements at the show. The small flock of curious high school hipster kids (looking like they stepped out of the liner notes for the latest Strokes album) were kind of funny, looking uneasy but wanting to see an underground art show. There was also a guy in a gorilla suit hanging out in the lobby, and a mime walking around shaking a donation box. I hope the donations were for the show, now that I think about it.

No comments: