Sunday, December 30, 2007


Edinburgh, Scotland is an absurdly beautiful city in which you are never more than two hundred feet from equally epic history, coffee, and beer. I spent a week wandering the streets with various combinations of my brother, his girlfriend, and my parents. The former two are currently legal residents, and she was good enough to secure me a place to stay in the room of one of her flatmates who had vacated for the week.

This was taken at around 3:00 in the afternoon. During the winter it gets dark very early, and I don't think I ever got used to it.
What's left of the Abbey at the Palace. The rest of the Palace was much nicer, despite a similar history of ransacking by various angry mobs.

Frankenstein. Seriously, a bar named and lavishly decorated like Frankenstein's Monster, complete with a body on a stretcher suspended above the main area with lights and sound effects every now and then. And of course Guinness.

I don't know much about it, but there's a place called Cafe Numedia. Like "new-media," get it? It was finally my turn to ask "What is Numedia?"

The Brass Monkey is a great bar with a whole room covered with a giant lounging cushion and little tables where they show movies in the afternoon. Words don't do it justice. This was the first place I tried Tennents- a popular local beer that was a bit light for my taste.

No comments: