Monday, October 18, 2004

Today's news will carry some measure of schadenfreude for my brother. The rest of you probably haven't known me as well or as long. I'm getting reading glasses. (I'll pause now, for Michael's friends to retrieve the defibrillator from the closet and start his heart again.) My vision is good, better than what the Air Force requires of jet pilots. However, I haven't been reading very well lately. This has probably been the case for quite a while, as the only materials I have been able to read at length are things that don't require prolonged focus on small print. Comic books, e-mail, and some magazines are easier because I can refocus my eyes periodically. In summary, only sub-grad level, or sub-Michelle. Making up new terms for things is fun.

I took a little side trip to the new instrument store on Jefferson. They have a nice selection of guitars and amps, as well as a lovely young woman who showed me a guitar and amp that I'm thinking about purchasing at some point. Well, sort of. The amp isn't that much, and it really sounds nice, but $230 is something I'm going to need this summer in Italy. The guitar is way out of my price range; Victory-class Star Destroyer expensive. It sounds fabulous, though, even in the hands of a hack like me. Maybe I'll focus my energies on concocting a scheme to tie this nice stuff in to my studies and get a grant for it. Yes, that's the ticket.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've known you were slightly far-sighted for a long time. I'm staying calm. We don't have a defibrillator.

Ooh, summer in Italy. Aren't you fabulous. Just wonderful, wonderful. Smoke? No, that's just steam issuing from my ears.

Geekiness is sexy? Can't wait for that little trend to reach this backwater. Actually, the problem is probably that everybody's geeky, and I don't stand out.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and I'm not shocked either, because you mentioned you thought you needed glasses...having said that, I'm kinda shocked you actually did it!

We can wear our glasses together! That would be hot! Or something like that.